Great food combinations like peanut butter and jelly, burgers and chips, pizza and salad or BBQ ribs and potato salad remind us of the power of simple pleasures that can bring us moments of peace and happiness. Vegetarian diets work well too.
Happiness, true happiness, is an inner quality. It is a state of mind. If your mind is at peace, you are happy. If your mind is at peace, but you have nothing else, you can be happy. If you have everything the world can give – pleasure, possessions, power – but lack peace of mind, you can never be happy.….Dada Vaswani
While this can vary per individual, the greatest sanctuaries on earth that help bring us peace of mind in their solitude are the quietness of the spiritual forest, the isolation and majestic views of the mountains along with the power and calm of the ocean, especially at sunset.
In a stress filled world, Peace of Mind is like water in an oasis.
It’s often not easy to traverse to the above mentioned natural destinations, thus in our everyday lives, what can help us attain Peace of Mind?
Some well qualified and talented people may offer us some suggestions.
The insightful site findpeaceofmind.org offers, “Happiness and suffering are states of mind, and so their main causes cannot be found outside the mind. The real source of happiness is inner peace. If our mind is peaceful, we shall be happy all the time, regardless of external conditions, but if it is disturbed or troubled in any way, we shall never be happy, no matter how good our external conditions may be. External conditions can only make us happy if our mind is peaceful.”
This seems to speak to the theory that 10 percent of life is what happens to us and 90 percent of life is how we react to what happens to us. Walking down the street, someone may yell something at us. One person will be mature and ignore them, another may yell something back, the car stops and now you have a fight that may end in death.
Inner peace (or peace of mind) refers to a state of being mentally and spiritually at peace, with enough knowledge and understanding to keep oneself strong in the face of discord or stress. Being “at peace” is considered by many to be healthy (homeostasis) and the opposite of being stressed or anxious.
Even people we greatly admire and imagine have it all together offer us insights into how they dealt with the 10 percent that came their way.
“The Long and Winding Road” is a ballad written by Paul McCartney (credited to Lennon–McCartney) from the Beatles‘ album Let It Be. It became the group’s 20th and last number-one song in the United States in June 1970, and was the last single released by the quartet.
Mr. McCartney originally wrote the song at his farm in Scotland, and was inspired by the growing tension among the Beatles. McCartney said later “I just sat down at my piano in Scotland, started playing and came up with that song, imagining it was going to be done by someone like Ray Charles. I have always found inspiration in the calm beauty of Scotland and again it proved the place where I found inspiration.”
A sight we have found helpful and enlightening is tinybuddha.com. Regarding obtaining Peace of Mind, here are some suggestions:
- Take 5-10 minutes for a simple seated meditation.
- Take 100 deep breaths, counting “and one,” “and two,” and so on, with “and” on the inhalations and the numbers on the exhalations.
- Take a meditative walk, focusing solely on the physical sensations of walking—the earth under your feet, the swing of your hips.
- Find a guided meditation on YouTube and let it lull you into a blissful state of presence.
- Practice alternate nostril breathing. Hold the left nostril down and inhale through the right; then hold the breath. Release the left nostril, hold the right one down, and exhale through the left. Now start on the left with an inhalation, exhaling on the right. This is one set. Do up to five of them.
- Write down everything that’s weighing you down mentally and then burn it as a form of letting go.
- Write down everything you’ve learned from a difficult experience so you can see it as something useful and empowering instead of something to stress you out.
- Tell someone how their actions affected you instead of holding it in and building resentment.
- Call someone you’ve denied forgiveness and tell them you forgive them.
- Apologize for a mistake instead of rehashing it, and then choose to forgive yourself.
- Engage in a little art therapy; grab some crayons, markers, or paint and put all your feelings on the page.
- Create a peace collage. Include images that make you feel relaxed and at ease. (Google “peace collage” and you’ll get lots of ideas!)
- Meditate on your favorite peace quote and then write it in calligraphy for framing.
- Take a walk with the sole intention of photographing beautiful things that make you feel at peace, like a tree with colorful autumn leaves.
- Write a blog post about what gives you peace of mind. (This has been a calming experience for me!)
If you visit the site, many other fantastic suggestions are offered to help you travel that long and winding road.
The calming site findpeaceofmind.org reminds us, “All living beings have the same basic wish to be happy and avoid suffering, but very few people understand the real causes of happiness and suffering. We generally believe that external conditions such as food, friends, cars, and money are the real causes of happiness, and as a result we devote nearly all our time and energy to acquiring these. Superficially it seems that these things can make us happy, but if we look more deeply we shall see that they also bring us a lot of suffering and problems.”
We hope great minds think alike because we agree with the spirit of all of the above.
The female submission wrestling is an exciting yet unpredictable one that can be filled with financial uncertainty, words not kept, injuries and an extremely hectic schedule to name a few. It’s understandable that many of our beautiful Fem Competitors can find it at times a stressful even if enjoyable place.
Hopefully by actually applying a few of the suggestions above, along your long and winding road, you too can obtain longer time periods that produces Peace of Mind.
~ ~ ~
Femcompetitor.com subscribes to fciwomenswrestling.com news source, no affiliation.
Sources: brainyquote.com, Wikipedia, fciwomenswrestling.com, fciwomenswrestling2.com, FCI Elite Competitor, femcompetitor.com, photos thank you Wikimedia Commons.